We all know how frustrating weeds can be when in our beloved gardens and flowerbeds. But what can you do if you don’t want to use harmful chemicals weed killers to kill these weeds or if these chemicals don’t work for you? Still wondering! The answer is to get the best weed barrier for your garden.
Our gardens lose their productivity when annoying weeds drain their nutrients. Flowerbeds lack their attractiveness when infested by unsightly weeds. You require the perfect weed barrier to prevent your beautiful garden from becoming weed gardens.
We have done a comprehensive research and found the best barriers on the market today. But before we look at their reviews, let’s jump into the buying guide of weed barriers so that you can have an idea of what to look for when you visit the market.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reviews of the Top 5 Weed Barriers
- 1.1 1. Scotts 25-Year Pro Fabric 3 x 150 Feet
- 1.2 2. Dewitt 12-Year Weed Barrier Fabric, 4 x 50 Feet
- 1.3 3. Dewitt Sunbelt Ground Cover Weed Barrier, 4 x 300 Feet
- 1.4 4. SCOTTS Fabric, 4 x 220 Feet
- 1.5 5. Landscape Fabric/Weed Control Fabric /Weed Fabric/Erosion Control Mulch Mat/Garden Ground Cover/Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric, 3 x 300 Feet
- 2 Our Choice for the Best Weed Barrier
- 3 Types of Weed Barriers
- 4 Tips on Choosing the Best Weed Barriern
- 5 Selecting a Weed Barrier for Your Need
- 6 Benefits of a Weed Barrier
- 7 How to Install Your Weed Barrier
- 8 Tips for Identifying Weeds
- 9 FAQs About Weed Barriers
- 10 The Verdict
Reviews of the Top 5 Weed Barriers
Here are the top 5 weed barriers on the market today.
1. Scotts 25-Year Pro Fabric 3 x 150 Feet
If you are worried about crumbling ground and soil erosion in your garden, then Scotts 25-Year Pro Fabric is the product for you. This 3 by 150 feet weed barrier from Scotts offers superbly design features for controlling weed while preventing soil erosion.
The fabric is designed with long-lasting nature in mind but it’s still light enough to be lifted and installed in your garden with ease. When it comes to the texture, unlike most barriers which are designed with a touch of flimsy plastic, this unit is made of quality fiber. It’s durable and also very easy to cut which makes it the perfect choice for users who want to install a landscape fabric by themselves for the first time.
Although Scotts is very popular and they have developed a good relationship with customers over the years, this barrier is quite affordable when compared to those of other brands that sell products of the same measurements.
- Excellent weed control.
- Good for pathways.
- Last for at least 2 decades.
- Reduces soil erosion.
- Easy to install.
- Easily tears via sloping areas.
- Easily chewed by rodents.
2. Dewitt 12-Year Weed Barrier Fabric, 4 x 50 Feet
The last issue you want is to keep on reinstalling your weed barrier regularly. Not only will this be quite tiring but also pocket draining. Therefore, if you are searching for a barrier that is both affordable and durable, then Dewitt 12-Year Weed Barrier might be your best bet.
Dewitt offers optimum durability and has developed a brand that guarantees that clients are getting value for their money. Also, the brand has a great reputation for ensuring that weeds don’t develop in your garden for a year.
Although slightly thicker than other barriers in its class, this unit is lightweight which makes it very easy to cut into manageable pieces and install. This product is also environmental-friendly and it comes with the latest features. Among these features is the construction fabric which is made via the spun-bond method.
It is a great choice for ensuring that weeds never show up in your garden. One key factor for killing weeds of this barrier is the carbon-black element in its material which makes sure that sunlight doesn’t reach the weeds. The product is also hydrophilic treated to offer optimum permeability of nutrients needed by your plants.
- Great option for the first-time
- Excellent air and water permeability.
- Easy to install.
- Doesn’t allow light to penetrate.
- Made of durable material.
- Thin material.
- Cannot hold rocks.
3. Dewitt Sunbelt Ground Cover Weed Barrier, 4 x 300 Feet
What makes this barrier unique is that it features a Sunbelt ground cover. The product also allows air and water to reach the roots of your plants. It also features UV stabilization, making it a great choice for greenhouse and outdoor use.
This weed barrier has a great length of 300 feet and offers a sufficient width of 4 feet, making it ideal for use in most gardens. Another great feature of this unit is the high-quality woven black polypropylene material that ensures that the sun doesn’t reach the ground. The product comes with half a decade warranty, which is the number of years it will offer you services.
The product allows easy seep of water and air to the ground to facilitate your plant growth and it is very affordable.
- UV stabilized and permeable to water and air.
- Very affordable.
- Lasts 5 years.
- Easily resist tear.
- Suitable for greenhouse use.
- Water penetration should be improved.
- Doesn’t last long.
4. SCOTTS Fabric, 4 x 220 Feet
This product is quite popular when you consider the number of positive reviews it has received from buyers. It is an excellent weed barrier that can be used for other Landscape projects without compromising its results.
One of the most notable things about this unit is its effective control of soil erosion. It has the ability to hold the soil and still provide long-lasting weeds control solution. You can also use this product to create walkways in your yard which offer a classy garden.
When compared with other weed barriers of its measurement, its price is a bargain and the best thing; you don’t need to add any chemical to kill the weeds.
- Doesn’t use any chemical.
- Perfect for creating walkways.
- Very affordable.
- Long-lasting weed barrier.
- An effective product.
- A bit hard to handle.
- A bit hard to install.
5. Landscape Fabric/Weed Control Fabric /Weed Fabric/Erosion Control Mulch Mat/Garden Ground Cover/Weed Barrier Landscape Fabric, 3 x 300 Feet
This weed barrier comes sealed in effective rolls of 3 x 300 feet to offer you a barrier that will take care of all weeds. The product helps to block all weeds from growing and consuming the valuable minerals of your plants. This barrier is perfect for a short-term project for yearly planting and thus great for vegetable garden.
It consists of 3 layers of laminated spun-bond fabric for extra light blockage and added strength. The unit is made of polyethylene plastic material that helps to block the germination of unwanted plants. The other great thing about this unit is that it helps to prevent soil erosion and boasts of a durable construction.
The nonwoven geotextile fabric of this barrier offers specific functions like resilience, softness, stretch, liquid repellency, strength, absorbency, washability, flame retardancy, sterility, package protection, filtering, cushioning, and bacterial barrier. These properties combine to form a commercially heavy-duty weed barrier.
- Blocks all weeds.
- Durable construction.
- Prevents soil erosion.
- Prevents sunlight from reaching the ground.
- Perfect for commercial use.
- Very expensive.
- Hard to install.
Our Choice for the Best Weed Barrier
These 5 choices are great choices. If you went for any one of them, you would be getting value for your money. With that said, the perfect weed barrier should control weed, prevent soil erosion, last for decades, be lightweight, and be easy to install. This is precisely what Scotts 25-Year Pro Fabric 3 x 150 feet is all about.
Types of Weed Barriers
There are different types of weed barriers out there. They include:
Using the Natural Barriers
Some people use the natural barriers to prevent weed growth. They put natural materials around their plants to prevent the weeds. For instance, a thick layer of peat moss, mulch, or leaves can be very effective for blocking unwanted plants.
Natural materials are highly biodegradable, and thus you will need to replenish them annually. Again, natural barriers such as mulch and straw have weed seeds. They can make your weed problem to be worse.
The Plastic Barriers
This barrier can block the sun from reaching the surface when spread over the garden or weed. It prevents the weeds from getting sunlight, water, and oxygen. The black color of the barrier easily absorbs the heat from the sun, and this helps to keep the soil warm. In turn, this helps the root of the surrounding plants to develop.
You can go for fabric barriers when you want to prevent the weeds from growing. These barriers are made of synthetic geotextile material. They also feature a lamination that is made of black polyethylene material. The lamination is simply a thin layer.
The lamination darkens the soil by blocking the sun from reaching the surface. Weeds and other plants get starved because they don’t receive the light required for their growth.
The interesting thing about weed barriers is that you can easily make one from your home. For instance, you can make use of old newspapers and plastic bags. You will get a lot of tutorials online on how to create these types of barriers.
The major issue with these barriers is that they decompose into your garden after a while. They also look disorganized and messy. The last problem is that strong winds can blow them away.
Tips on Choosing the Best Weed Barriern
By now you understand that there are hundreds of weed barrier options available out there. However, buying a barrier that will serve your needs can be tricky and hectic. You need to make the right decision and the following tips and tricks can help you to do this.
Go for Most Purchased Weed Barrier
Always try to make your purchase based on the number of units sold. The reasoning behind this is that if many units of purchase are done then the weed barrier must be good, otherwise users wouldn’t have bought it.
However, this is not applicable for weed barriers that have just launched or have faced explosive buy. You should apply this trick only in cases of regular purchase over a certain period, like 5 years.
Buy from Trusted Websites
If you buy your product online, always ensure that you purchase from a trusted website which will safeguard your interests. There are websites that sell damaged products to unsuspecting customers.
Additionally, the same case should apply if you buy from a local store.
Read Previous Customer Reviews
Reading weed barriers review is a superb way to determine if the product will perform its job effectively. The logic behind this is that buyers are using it and they already know how it works. This way you will get unbiased opinions about the barrier and even know the pros and cons of buying a specific barrier.
Selecting a Weed Barrier for Your Need
How do you choose a weed barrier that will serve your purpose? By answering the following questions:
1. Do I have a long-term project or a temporary project?
When you are hunting for a weed barrier, the first thing that you should know is the nature of your project. A long-term project has its unique needs while a temporary project has its needs.
Plastic weed barriers are the best for long-term projects. When you use these barriers they play a critical role in reducing soil moisture loss. The other major benefit that makes them the best for the long-term project is they don’t develop tears easily – they can last for decades. The downside to plastic barriers is they are quite expensive but worth your money.
Fabric barriers are perfect for the short-term project because they aren’t durable. After a while, the textile material became soft and begins to tear.
2. Do I need a breathable fabric?
This is a matter of where you want to use your barrier. Remember that you want to kill the weeds while allowing your plants to breath. Plastic material barriers will not allow any air to get into the soil.
3. Do I want my garden to look clean?
The main purpose of using a weed barrier is to ensure that your garden looks clean. The worst thing that you can do is to use a barrier that does not match the color of your garden or choose a product that makes it look dull.
4. Is my weed barrier easy to install?
It is a waste of time and money to call a professional to install a weed barrier in your garden. Instead of buying a complicated product to prevent weeds from growing, choose a model that is easy to install using a pair of scissors and elbow grease.
5. Am I an environmentally conscious person?
The perfect weed barrier should be effective at preventing weeds – not killing other organisms in your garden. There are other living things in your garden that help to balance its composition such as butterflies, ants, bees, and worms.
Benefits of a Weed Barrier
There are numerous benefits of using a weed barrier both in the short and long-term. Here are some of these benefits:
Preventing weeds from spreading in your garden – Weeds are quite damaging to a yard and they are quite persistent. They are the major reason why plants don’t flourish as they should and this is because they take valuable nutrients from the plants. Weed barriers offer your plants a chance to grow by preventing weeds from spreading throughout your garden.
Controlling soil erosion in your garden – Although weed barriers are both permeable and porous, most of them are quite effective in preventing soil erosion and crumbling. These products are beneficial especially for lands with slopes and hills.
Preventing mulch and stones from sinking in your garden – Weed barriers also prevent rocks, stones, and mulch from sinking into the surface. This will save you hundreds of dollars since you don’t need to replenish your mulch after a few months because of sinking into the ground.
Durable, easy to install, and use – Most weed barriers can be cut and installed in your land easily. They also happen to be sturdy and resistant to punctures, cuts, and tears. Some of them take longer to decay or mold.
Comes in different colors and sizes – Weed barriers are manufactured using different materials and come in different sizes and colors. This enables you to choose the one that fits your garden the best.
In addition, weed barriers offer the following three benefits.
- They save you a lot of time and effort that you would use weeding your garden.
- They can be used to create walkways in your garden.
- They are very durable and don’t need maintenance.
How to Install Your Weed Barrier
These are the simple steps that you need to follow to install your weed barrier successfully:
- Clear the ground – the first thing is to clear existing weeds from the surface you want to install your barrier.
- Flatten out the soil – the next thing is to flatten out the surface using a rake so that you can level stones; they might damage your barrier.
- Place the barrier – now you can install your barrier on the surface and use staples to fix it firmly.
- Place gravels and mulch – place them on top of the weed barrier in order to fix it into position.
- Complete the installation – your installation process is complete now.
Tips for Identifying Weeds
Do you know how to identify weeds? It is best you know what you want to remove from your garden in order to save the balance of your yard.
- A weed is any plant that grows without being sown.
- A weed is any plant that grows where it isn’t wanted.
- A weed is any plant that is competitive, persistence, and interferes with your activities.
Weeds, despite being plants growing in the unwanted area, have some of the characteristics that have been shown to be present in over 250,000 plants that are believed to be weeds. They are:
- Weeds have abundant seed productions.
- Weeds have dormant seeds.
- Weeds have a rapid population.
- Weeds have an adaptation for easy
- Weeds have the qualities of vegetative reproduction mechanisms.
- Weeds have the ability to grow in places where people are disturbing them.
- Weeds seed have a long-lasting life when buried.
Here is a list of the common weeds that you might find in your garden:
- Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) – This weed often appears as a group of creamy white flowers. They grow and do well in arid and semi-arid areas that have local store.
- Bellis perennis (Daisy weed) – This is a perennial weed. They feature white petals and have a yellow center.
- Cirsium arvense (Creeping thistle) – They have spiky, twisted thistle-like leaves and purple flower heads. This weed often occurs in recently seeded lawns and bare spots on grasses.
- Glechoma hederacea (Ground ivy) – This is also a perennial weed that shows in a group of violet-blue flowers with glossy, scalloped, and round leaves.
- Plantago major (Great plantain) – This is yet another perennial weed that features broad, oval-shaped foliage. It produces greenish-gray flowers.
- Ranunculus repens (Creeping buttercup) – This weed has three-lobed leaves with yellow flowers. It spreads using its root system.
- Senecio jacobaea (Common ragwort) – This weed has yellow star-like flowers as well as bluish-green lobed leaves. It is toxins and hence you should handle it with care.
- Taraxacun officinale (Dandelion) – This common weed produces yellow flowers that change into white seedheads when they mature.
Installing weed barrier is one of the best ways to prevent and control these weeds from growing in your yard.
FAQs About Weed Barriers
Q: There are weeds growing under my weed barrier. What might be the problem?
A: The major cause of weed growing under a weed barrier is improper barrier application or some extremely stubborn grasses or perennial weeds. Ensure that you follow the installation instructions that come with your barrier.
Q: I have installed my weed barrier and the water I not passing through. Why?
A: Some barriers come with a coating that makes them roll easily. After one or two days, this coat will break down and the water will pass normally.
Q: How many inches should I put one anchoring pin from the other?
A: Generally, every three to five feet apart will be sufficient.
We all love the small garden in our backyard. Making it appear beautiful isn’t the only thing that you should do. You need to be dedicated to it so that you can eliminate all the weeds from it. We hope that the above weed barrier article has helped you to know “what is the best weed barrier” for your garden.