One of the most critical things you should do to keep a hot tub germ-free and clean is to maintain the water quality. You can achieve this by using the best hot tub chemicals regularly.
What are the best hot tub chemicals to use? We have compiled a list of the top 6 models that will keep your tub in top condition and healthy.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reviews of Top 6 Hot Tub Chemicals
- 1.1 1. Leisure Time E5 Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules
- 1.2 2. Spa Depot Oxy-Spa Non-Chlorine Hot Tub and Pool Shock
- 1.3 3. SpaChoice Chlorine Dichlor Granules Sanitizer Shock
- 1.4 4. Leisure Time D-02 Metal Gon for Hot Tubs and Spas
- 1.5 5. iONRx Natural Hot Tub Sanitizing Treatment
- 1.6 6. Spa Depot Bromine Tablets for Hot Tubs
- 2 Hot Tub Chemicals FAQs
- 2.1 Q: What hot tub chemicals do I need?
- 2.2 Q: How to balance hot tub chemicals?
- 2.3 Q: What is the recommended pH for hot tubs?
- 2.4 Q: What is the recommended level of alkalinity?
- 2.5 Q: Can you use hot tub chemicals in a pool?
- 2.6 Q: How often should I drain my hot tub?
- 2.7 Q: How often should one shock a hot tub?
- 3 Conclusion
Reviews of Top 6 Hot Tub Chemicals
Here are the top 6 hot tub chemicals on the market today.
1. Leisure Time E5 Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules
Maintain clear, clean, and sanitized water with Leisure Time E5 Granules. These granules are easily compatible with all chlorine sanitizing systems, making them easy to apply in your hot tub.
The producer boasts of many years of experience, and you can always count on the E5 to effectively clean your tub. These granules are specifically made for hot tubs and spa uses and are EPA approved.
Besides, they come in a value pack bottle that offers value for money. Also, they destroy and prevent germs from developing in your hot tub.
They come in a 5-pound bottle that can last you for long and are perfect for sensitive skin.
- Lasts for a very long time.
- Does not irritate the skin.
- Leaves the tub fresh and clean.
- Slightly expensive.
2. Spa Depot Oxy-Spa Non-Chlorine Hot Tub and Pool Shock
Another chemical you should consider getting for your hot tub is the Oxy-Spa from Spa Depot. This shock comes in a 6-pound container with a handle that allows you to carry it with ease.
Besides, the product is well-secured in the container since no kid can open the lid. The granular can oxide your hot tub to offer it with the cleanliness you want.
Made of high-quality material, this chemical outperforms most of the products in its class. It guarantees to provide maximum effectiveness in hot tubs and pools.
- Perfect for pools and hot tubs.
- Very effective product.
- Comes in a secure bottle.
- Hard to open the lid.
3. SpaChoice Chlorine Dichlor Granules Sanitizer Shock
This product comes in two 2 pounds bottles that will last you for a couple of uses to keep your hot tub sanitized. They are quick-dissolving granules that will allow you to use your tub within a short time.
Besides, they are made of high-quality ingredients that leave the hot tub clean and fresh for long. Their maximum strength is 99%, which is ideal for getting lead of all germs in a hot tub.
What’s more, they don’t leave the scale behind, which can result in fillers. You can trust to get an attractive hot tub to relax in with your family.
- No fillers left.
- Comes in economical bottles.
- Leaves the tub fresh for long.
- Seems to work better with some tubs.
4. Leisure Time D-02 Metal Gon for Hot Tubs and Spas
Leisure Time D-02 is one of the most effective chemicals that you can add to your hot tub to enjoy a clean facility. This product comes in 2 bottles that will last you for days to ensure that you get value for your money.
It can prevent stains that can be caused by iron as well as other metals in your hot tub. You can relax in your tub with peace of mind knowing that there is no chance of corrosion.
The product is compatible with biguanide, ozone, bromine, and chlorine sanitizers. What’s more, the bottle can easily be refilled to ensure that you keep the environment clean.
- Prevents stains from metal.
- Compatible with different sanitizers.
- Easy to use.
- Takes time to dissolve.
5. iONRx Natural Hot Tub Sanitizing Treatment
This is a natural product that gets rid of harmful contaminants and bacteria in your hot tub and also stabilizes the pH. It is perfect for all hot tubs and also removes any extra chemical in your facility.
Besides, it is EPA tested and approved for use in all tubs and is not harmful to the human skin. The product can be used for both private and public use, in places such as hospitals and schools.
It also removes itching, sneezing, allergic reactions, and coughing due to chemicals in your tub. This means that it doesn’t produce any bad reaction or smell.
The application process is also very easy, and you can use your tub within a short time after adding it.
- Doesn’t smell.
- Ideal for use in different places.
- Gets led to harmful chemicals.
- Need to drain water after a month.
6. Spa Depot Bromine Tablets for Hot Tubs
The Spa Depot Bromine Tablets come in a 6-pound bucket that contains the 1¼ bromine tabs. They offer 98% more active ingredients that all other hot tub chemicals on the market today.
Another notable thing about the tabs is that they don’t produce any strong odor that can affect you when chilling in your tub. The best part, the bucket has a child resistant lid that will prevent kids from accessing the tabs.
With these tabs, you can be assured that you will have a tub that will remain fresh for longer. They are recommended for all hot tubs and will be effective in cleaning and refreshing your facility.
- Comes in a large bucket.
- Has a childproof lid.
- Last for a long time.
- Will take time to dissolve.
Hot Tub Chemicals FAQs
Here are the most common asked questions and answers about hot tub chemicals.
Q: What hot tub chemicals do I need?
A: You need different types of chemicals to keep your tub clean, including:
- Sanitizers – They keep the tub clean by maintaining the right levels of chlorine, bromine, biguanids, salt, and minerals.
- Shock – Shocks prevent algae from developing in your hot tub. Use them at least once per week.
- Alkalinity decreaser – This is for reducing the level of alkaline in your hot tub.
- pH decreaser – For maintaining the right level of pH.
- Enzymes – They help to break down organic material in your hot tub.
Q: How to balance hot tub chemicals?
A: It is important to balance your hot tub chemicals. Follow these steps:
- Check pH Levels – This is the most critical thing when it comes to the hot tub.
- Manage alkalinity – It comes in handy when maintaining the pH level.
- Maintain water hardness – This determines the level of calcium in your tub.
- Add sanitizing solutions – Finally, you will need to add the right amount of sanitizers to kill viruses and bacteria.
Q: What is the recommended pH for hot tubs?
A: You should ensure that your hot tub has a pH level of between 7.2-7.8 ppm.
Q: What is the recommended level of alkalinity?
A: It should be between 100-150 ppm.
Q: Can you use hot tub chemicals in a pool?
A: Yes. There are some hot tub chemicals that you can use in your swimming pool. Some of the products we have reviewed above are perfect for use in swimming pools.
Q: How often should I drain my hot tub?
A: You should consider draining the water every two to three months. However, it will depend on how often you use your hot tub and how you maintain it, sanitize it, and balance the water.
Q: How often should one shock a hot tub?
A: If possible, you should shock your hot tub every day. Once you have shocked, wait for a few hours before testing the water to allow the chemical to mix with the water.
Choose the best hot tub chemicals for your hot tub to kill germs and algae. Through this, you will have a safe tub that you where you can relax with your family or friends. Keep your hot tub safe by getting the best chemical out there.